History: Kings, Princes, Myths & Legends
Welsh history is full of misinterpretation, legends and myths. When famouswelsh.com started in 1999 King Arthur was still thought of as pure ledgend or myth in its own right. Now of course there's plenty of indicators to be sure there is truth buried in the ledgends. Misinterpretation on the Arthurian legend alone is staggering, most people believe he was an early English King, odd when England didn't exist then.
We've started here with Arthur because he is so well known all our readers, world wide can relate to this. However, there are lots of other stories and strings of Celtic culture that survive to this day. Within our listings you'll find references to personalities who have made such a great impression their presence is still with us like Edwin Hughes, Henry Vll, Richard Americk and other great characters.
Robert LeeCommander of the Confederate armies.
Hopkin ReesFounder of Peking (Beijing) University, China, which grew out of the city's language school set up in 1869 by Missionary Hopkin Rees
Sir Thomas PictonOne of Wellington's generals in the 'Peninsula War' and after at Waterloo.
Beau RichardEstablished the city of Bath as centre of fashionable society.
Daniel MorganJames was born in Wales probably Llandaff, in 1607 American Revolutionary War general and hero of the Battle of Cowpens, (1781), the most successful military manoeuvre to occur on American soil, 'the double envelope', in which he killed or captured a thousand British troops with only one hundred of his own troops.
Jemima NicholasWelsh Heroine! A local cobbler who, with a group of Welsh ladies in their Welsh hats and red flannel cloaks, repelled the French army during the last invasion of Britain in 1797.
More Articles ...
- Princess Gwenllian, historical personality with a connection to Wales (Anglesey)
- Owain Glyndwr, historical personality with a Welsh connection!
- Micah Thomas, historical personality with a connection to Wales (Ogmore, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire)
- Prince Caradoc, historical personality with a Welsh connection!
- Queen Boudica, historical personality with a Welsh connection!
- Edward II, historical personality with a connection to Wales (Caernarfon)